We had a great Biomedical Research Computing Forum this month, with a couple of fantastic speakers giving us an overview of some enabling technologies for handling big/distributed data. Thanks to everyone who came along, I hope you all found it useful. If you’re not on the BRCF mailing list and you’d like to be, let me know

Both speakers have kindly agreed to allow us to share their slides:

Rhys Smith, an Identity, Access, and Middleware Specialist at Janet and Cardiff University, introduced the Moonshot project, whose goal is to bring federated identity to a broad range of commonly deployed services such as mail, file store, remote access and instant messaging.

Also, some relevant links from the discussion afterwards (if I’ve missed anything, please add to the comments):

The Software Sustainability Institute’s Research Software Engineer Workshop. I believe they’ve also got the domain rse.ac.uk for the nascent RSE community, but I don’t think there’s anything up there yet.

Genomics England and the UK 100K Genomes project.

Technology Strategy Board funding calls

Microsoft’s cloud platform – Azure.

Thomas Down’s BioDalliance Genome Browser

Finally, everyone who doesn’t work at Denmark Hill will be delighted to know that Tim Hubbard has offered to provide space for next month’s meeting in central London, so you won’t have to venture so far south of the river. I thought we could alternate between there and the IoP so everyone does their fair share of traipsing about London.